Tuesday, December 15, 2015

This Old House




When my folks were married they lived in an apartment north of main street for a year.  Then, they moved into a trailer at Kloke's trailer court in the south west part of town, not far from the river.  I don't think that trailer court is there anymore.  There is a nice housing development near that area.  
My sister and I were born while they lived in the trailer, 
I have piece of a memory rolling around in my brain of me walking down to another trailer a few away in bright sunshine.  I remember walking up to the door and I don't remember any more. We lived in the trailer about three years so I wouldn't have been very old to be walking around by myself.  The mom of that house was a daughter to the Kloke's.    

There are plenty of photos taken when my sister and I were little, so I am choosing those for this post ones that mark where we lived.  I have no photo except vague ones in my mind of the outside of this trailer.  
This is the inside of the trailer, I am two, we are waiting for baby sister Kristen to arrive.  This little rocking chair still sits at my mother's house.  
The large rocking chair was the one mom used to rock all four of the kids.

My folks thought a sand box was a good way to entertain children.  We had a really large one at the Park street house. 

Here is photo of the outside of the trailer.  This was our milk box.  I remember getting milk deliveries at the Park St. house. 



We moved from the trailer to the apartment house on Railroad Street.  It was on a corner and I the first memory I have of that house is my sister and I tearing around on the side walks.  She on a little foot powered three-wheeler and me on a trike.  

I haven't found any photos of the outside of this house, the apartment house.  After we moved out it was in our family as a rental until 1982 when it burnt and had to be demolished.  I remember it being a pinky-orangy sort of color.  This is the back door.  It had a great enclosed porch in the front.

The kitchen in the apartment house was used for inside play on winter days.  Mom was extremely tolerant obviously.



These sort of tables are called retro now.  When we moved to the "new house", it was relegated to the "train room", where it held the hopeful template of a model railroad for many years, until it became just the junk room and held boxes and jars and who knows what all, and probably still does.  I haven't looked lately.

Helping?

In a previous post, I mentioned I had never seen a colored picture of our house before it was painted. This was the only picture I had ever seen that showed our house before it was sided with white aluminum siding.  

First Day of Kindergarten

I've been sorting old photos and I found one of my sister, and here is the color of the house. 
Dark Gray.


Obviously, my folks weren't against letting kids help. We didn't have a great deal of forced labor, but if we wanted to paint, they let us paint.  
That's Sharon's house across the way.  
We were 5 and 7.


I mentioned in a previous post that this house was gray with yellow trim and that Dad painted all but the highest part.  Here is proof, both of the trim and the high parts waiting to be painted.  


Mom was lucky to have a nice place to put a plastic pool without killing the grass.  That's Sendon's house as it was in 1971.


I loved this house, I still do.  It was built in the early 1900s and besides the hard wood floors it had 8" baseboards and wide window trim.  The trim had all been painted long before we moved there in 1969 and my folks carpeted it a couple years after we moved in.  I don't really remember no carpet down stairs but I remember the wood floors in the first bedroom we slept in.  I remember the foot shaped stickers we were let (?) stick on the floor.  
The upstairs had been made into an apartment complete with kitchen.  When we used it three rooms were bedrooms, and the "kitchen" was a play room, and we called it that for years.
I don't remember when they cupboards were white either.  I remember when mom painted them yellow, and again when she had someone wood grain them.  I also remember her using some sort of heating thing that would bubble up the laminate counter top so they could remove and replace it.

Kristen here is cutting up a banana for jello. She is four years old.


The south bay window looked toward the Hill's.  Our wood floors are still here in 1970.  We used that little table for everything.  


I wonder if anyone else remembers these basket chairs.  It was a perfect chair to curl up in with a book.



No comments: